The Kids Cancer Care Derek Wandzura Memorial Scholarship is a one-time award available to childhood cancer patients and survivors, for use in post-secondary studies. Scholarships are awarded based on the quality of the application and the level of financial need. Payment of scholarship amounts are made directly to post-secondary educational institutions by the Kids Cancer Care Foundation of Alberta.
Application deadline is April 30, 2019.
Late or incomplete applications are not accepted.
To be eligible for the Derek Wandzura Memorial Scholarship, applicants must:
- Be a childhood cancer patient or survivor. Diagnosis must have occurred at age 18 or younger.
- Have applied to or be enrolled in a post-secondary education institute for the fall 2019 or winter 2020 term. Universities, colleges, and technical institutes are all acceptable institutes. If applications for your intended program are not yet available, please contact us.
- Be a resident of Southern Alberta. Includes Red Deer and all communities south.
Applications must include all of the following and be submitted as one complete package. Please submit your package in the order shown below. Each requirement is explained further in the application form.
- A completed and signed application form, including terms and conditions. Applications must be filled out by candidates, not parents.
- A typed personal essay between 800 and 1000 words.
- A letter from your oncologist or family doctor, confirming your cancer diagnosis and date of diagnosis.
- A copy of your most recent academic transcripts. Official transcripts are not required.
- Proof of application to or registration in a post-secondary institute for the fall of 2019 or winter 2020. If applications for your intended program are not yet available, please contact us.
- Two personal reference letters.
- A recent photo of yourself.
Applications may be emailed or mailed. For email applications, please scan all documents in the order above and email as a single PDF file.
Please contact Kelly Kerr, Education Support Specialist, by telephone at 403 984 6211 or by email.