Founder and Chief Executive Officer
I am the luckiest person in the world. I am passionate about my job and I am able to make everyday a testament to my son’s memory, while helping other parents and kids affected by cancer.
I fill my days with policy, process and financial oversight while being the cheerleader of our staff, volunteers and donors and encouraging them to dream big! I dream of a day where childhood cancer is a memory.
I embrace change, love the busy, dynamic pace of our office and lead the best team of staff any CEO would be proud of. I work for the Board, the kids and everyone who volunteers, donates or sponsors Kids Cancer Care. YOU are the reason I get up in the morning. I am rewarded every day in smiles, stories and the joy that fulfilling our mission brings.
- What’s your camp name? Crazy Bear.
- What’s your favorite ice cream topping? Gummy Bears.
- Best read?The Lovely Bones or whatever is on my bedside table.
Outreach Program Coordinator
As outreach program coordinator, I get to plan programs for kids and families including Polar Express, Halloween Howler, and many more! I also work with the volunteer coordinator and the outreach coordinator to support some of their programs such as SunRise and Kindle Care Days.
I am so excited to work in the Kids Cancer Care office after working at Camp Kindle since 2016. I love working with the outreach team while getting to know our amazing families! I feel so privileged to work with our strong, wonderful, and courageous families.
You might also know me as Flik from my 4 years of working at Camp Kindle, but I am also Meeko and Phoebe’s mom, two of the camp dogs!
- What is your favourite meal?Hot dogs with all the toppings!
- What’s your favorite movie?Mulan
- Where is your favourite travel destination?New Zealand.
Camp Kindle Rental and Office Coordinator
I’m the Camp Kindle rental and office coordinator! I reply to rental inquiries, booking groups, arrange tours, help with marketing, and customer service at Camp Kindle. I also help with reception duties such as answering phones, greeting and directing guests, replying to mail and the fun stuff like filing and organizing!
When I arrived at Camp Kindle for my first interview, I felt the positive vibe and energy of this beautiful place! It is such a peaceful environment right in the middle of Mother Nature. Being able to help children and families to enjoy a positive experience, seeing the smiles and hearing the giggles of the kids enjoying themselves makes my heart smile!
I’m a volunteer with the local fire department, Cremona & District Emergency Services. As the fire prevention officer, I visit the school regularly to teach fire safety. I have always enjoyed this and the feeling I get when they understand and remember the things I teach. I believe my experiences at Camp Kindle will be equal to this.
- What’s your favourite read?Stephen King Novels
- Where is your favourite movie? The Sound Of Music
- What’s your favourite meal? Pasta...any kind of pasta.
Information Systems and Database Specialist
I have been involved with Kids Cancer Care since 2009, first as a family, then as a volunteer, now as an employee. I truly am living my dream by working at Kids Cancer Care. I love my position as information systems and database specialist. I get to deal with both tech and gifting, which is a great balance.
Our only child Alexander was diagnosed with a rare brain tumour in 2009. After ten months of treatment, he passed away. He was two.
Alexander was the 36th child in the world to be diagnosed with ETMR (embryonal tumour with multilayered rosettes). We donated his brain and tumour to what is now the Kids Cancer Care Biostorage at the University of Calgary. Overseen by Dr. Jennifer Chan, the Kids Cancer Care Chair in Pediatric Oncology Research, this facility provides researchers across the globe with live blood, tissue and cancer cell samples.Thanks to Alexander's gift, U of C researchers were able to create the world's first cell line for ETMR, enabling researchers around the world to study this rare cancer for the first time.
I believe Alexander was brought here to help other children through his cell line and to give me my life purpose. For 26 years I worked as an aircraft maintenance engineer, but now my purpose is to help kids with cancer.
- Why is your hair blue? Blue was Alexander’s favourite colour. My hair has been blue since 2010.
- What is your camp name? Blue.
- What is your favourite travel destination?The Westside of Oahu (Waianae Coast). This is where Alexander had his wish trip and where put his ashes.
Director of Marketing and Communications
I love words. Finding the right word while writing or stumbling over a beautiful turn of phrase while reading instills in me a deep sense of peace. Something in the universe just seems to line up when words work.
I spend a good part of my days writing — newsletters, annual reports, brochures, media releases, advertising copy, fundraising appeals, speaking notes, web content. The other part of my days, I spend planning and strategizing, scheduling and executing mar-comm plans. I feel fortunate because I can’t think of a worthier cause to work for. The cancer journeys these kids experience are both horrific and heroic. And, what our champions (donors, sponsors, partners, shave hosts, event participants and volunteers) do to transform these young lives both humbles and inspires me. Kids Cancer Care is a life-affirming place to work for and it daily rekindles my faith in humanity. Sharing stories of our vulnerability, our courage, our love and our hope—our wonderful and flawed humanity—is what living is all about.
- What’s something quirky about yourself?I can distort my tongue and vocal cords to mimic the hum of a dove or the chirp of a cricket with a hangover.
- Best read?There are so many! But I would have to say that my all-time favourite read has to be Dostoevsky’s Brothers Karamazov.
- What’s your camp name? Lotus.
Carolina Chamorro Vina
PEER Program Coordinator
I am the coordinator of the Pediatric cancer patients and survivors Engaging in Exercise for Recovery (PEER) program. Along with some great volunteers that come from kinesiology, nursing, public health and medical school backgrounds, I supervise this wonderful exercise program for kids and teens affected by cancer.
Our program provides kids the opportunity to exercise while having fun in a safe environment.
The best part of my work is the fact that we give the kids the capacity to be kids again. Every smile, every motor, fitness or social improvement that I observe in the kids are invaluable treasures that I preserve.
In Spain, back in 2004, I started to research the effects of exercise in children with cancer. We did a 16 week exercise program with kids on treatment. At the end of the program, the kids were interviewed. A journalist asked a seven-year-old boy what he enjoyed most about the exercise program. He replied “Now I can play with my sister without getting tired.” In that moment, I was the happiest person in the world. Exercise is a great way to counteract the side effects of treatment, improve quality of life and facilitate the reintegration of kids affected by cancer in the community. My dream is to see exercise become part of the standard care in every child with cancer.
I love working for Kids Cancer Care because everyone shares a passion to advocate for improving the quality of life of children affected by cancer and their families. It is an inspiring team to be a part of.
- Where is your hometown? Montevideo, Uruguay.
- What’s your favorite ice cream topping?Dulce de Leche with chocolate chips and lemon.
- What is your favourite meal? Empanadas.
Child Life Specialist
I have been a certified child life specialist for eight years now and I feel so privileged to be able to help support kids and their families as they navigate through their health care journey.
I have worked in a number of hospitals, including the Children’s Hospital of Eastern Ontario, the Stollery Children’s Hospital and Alberta Children’s Hospital and I am so excited to be able to work with the Kids Cancer Care families! My own family is uniquely tied to Kids Cancer Care and it is so exciting that I am now a part of the team! I love to be silly and fun and you will often find me making funny faces or telling stories! My baboon story is the BEST! Ask me to share it with you when we meet. I am looking forward to bringing my hospital experience to the community setting and I can’t wait to meet all of the amazing kids and families!
- What's your favourite place to visit?India. I loved India so much!
- What's your favourite flavour of ice cream?Classic chocolate all the way for me!
- What’s something on your bucket list?To meet and hug a sloth!
Family Engagement Coordinator
As the family engagement coordinator, I have the privilege of being one of the primary contacts for children and families that come to Kids Cancer Care. I get to introduce families to the amazing programs and services offered here, including Camp Kindle. Together we will assess your needs and connect you with our staff or professionals in the community.
In my 25+ years as a registered social worker, I am constantly amazed at the resilience and strength shown by the children that I have worked with. I am honored to be a part of the team at Kids Cancer Care and passionate about supporting families. I hope to speak with you soon!
- Where's your hometown?Virden, Manitoba
- What’s your favorite ice cream flavour?Almond Espresso
- Something quirky about you?I'm fascinated by the weather and always know the forecast!
In my role as outreach coordinator, I create psychosocial supports for kids and families facing childhood cancer through our year-round recreational and wellness programming. Before moving into Calgary to work at the Kids Cancer Care office, I spent two lovely seasons at Camp Kindle, where I was fondly nicknamed Moo!
Working in city has me supporting the amazing teens in our Teen Leadership Program and youngsters and families in our kid programs such as Halloween Howler, A Christmas Carol. I also provide programming support to the revenue development team at some of our fundraising events such as the High Hopes Challenge. The connection and growth I get from working with these kids and families always fill up my cup.
- What’s your favourite travel destination? Alaska.
- What is something quirky about you? I have an addiction to purchasing organizational items.
- What’s something on your bucket list? High five a stranger at the PERFECT moment.
Camp Program Coordinator
As the camp program coordinator, I coordinate summer and year-round programs that take place out at Camp Kindle. I get to work closely with staff and campers here, facilitating their growth.
I am excited to work at Kids Cancer Care and at Camp Kindle because of the great experience that camp gives youth, and the positive impact of this organization. I am excited to be a part of the team!
I come from a wide background of working with youth. From educational to recreational, volunteering with Girl Guides to working in kids’ clubs on a cruise ship with people from all over the world.
- What’s your favourite movie?Hook
- Where is your hometown?Calgary!
- What's your favourite travel destination?South Africa
As an Event Specialist, I have the privilege of creating an environment for meaningful and memorable connections. I get a thrill out of ensuring that everything behind the scenes paves the way for others to achieve their goals and to be part of something special. I’m grateful to be working with generous and giving partners, vendors, colleagues, and individuals who are worthy of more praise than can ever be bestowed upon them.
To be able to align my skills with a cause that provides families in my community with support, hope and results is truly a blessing.
- Favourie Movie?The Sound of Music
- Favourite Ice Cream Flavour?Root Beer
- What’s your favourite meal?Any meal that is prepared as a group effort in my kitchen
Education Support Specialist
I love learning about learning! I love brain research, the study of brain plasticity and watching all those magical moments when kids discover something new! Learning and hope, to me, are two things that go hand in hand.
As an education support specialist at Kids Cancer Care, I get to help our families by matching them with our volunteer tutors. First, I connect with our families to understand the learning and educational needs of their kids. Then I match them with our amazing volunteer tutors who I support and guide throughout the year. Finally, I check in all along the way for ideas on how we can grow the tutoring program to better serve our families.
I am thrilled to be working at Kids Cancer Care! My favourite things are my four kids, my husband, my puppy and my job. Having a daughter go through brain cancer and six full months of in-hospital treatment and a long ongoing recovery, I know first-hand how Kids Cancer Care can bring joy to the journey. Our family’s experience with cancer and Kids Cancer Care taught us that good things and hard things are not opposites. Rich lives are grown out of pain and joy intermingled.
- What’s your favourite ice cream?Chocolate peanut butter on a cold day or creamsicle on a hot day.
- What is your favourite travel destination? Any of the Hawaiian islands.
- What’s your favourite movie? Shadowlands, the story of C.S. Lewis and the love of his life Joy Davidman. Some of my favourite reads are his books from the Narnia series.
My experience varies from recreation programming, events, and marketing. I have a degree in Tourism and Recreation from Vancouver Island University. I am extremely excited to work at Kids Cancer Care to create everlasting relationships and memories and feel it will be a very rewarding place to work. My passion is working with kids, teens, and adults, as well as giving back to the community.
- What’s your favourite food?Pizza
- Where is your hometown?Nelson, BC
Director of Nursing & Outreach
As Director of Nursing and Outreach, I oversee all our nursing and medical practices both at Camp Kindle and Calgary office. I’m passionate about providing evidence-based care and a high level of clinical services and ensuring clients feel empowered in their decision making. I also manage all our outreach programs including PEER, Child Life Services, Education Support, the Teen Leadership Program, family and recreational programs.
I’m a Registered Nurse, Midwife and Specialist Public Health Nurse with 20-years’ experience working with families and children. I moved with my family (husband, son and two cats!) from the United Kingdom to Canada in 2020 and love Canadian life!
I really have the most amazing job and I feel privileged to work with such amazing, courageous children, families, volunteers, and colleagues. To be able to make a difference in a child’s journey and change lives through the programs and support we offer through Kids Cancer Care is the most amazing experience. I’m passionate about supporting our research programs and being part of future treatments and solutions to overcome childhood cancer.
I love working at Kids Cancer Care because we have such a dedicated, bubbly, and friendly team. I knew the moment I came along for my first interview that it was the place for me. I was so taken with the enthusiasm of the team and felt instantly welcome. I couldn’t ask for a better workplace.
- What’s your favourite read?The Beekeeper of Aleppo
- Where is your hometown?Stafford, United Kingdom
- Camp Name?Crumpet
My role as development associate of annual and legacy giving provides me with wonderful opportunities to connect with Kids Cancer Care’s caring and generous donors. Through writing direct mail pieces, I feel truly honoured and privileged to share the unique personal journeys of our children with our donors, proudly sharing how their gifts make a profoundly positive impact in the lives of the children and families we serve.
For me, it’s the innocence, heart, courage and resilience of these children that fuels my determination to support them in their battle against childhood cancer until it’s eradicated. What we can accomplish together with community, connections, dedication and commitment is nothing short of extraordinary!
- What’s your camp name? Running Horse
- What's your favourite ice cream flavour? Pistachio
- What’s your favourite travel destination? Hawaii!
Maintenance Manager - Camp Kindle
I love working for Kids Cancer Care at Camp Kindle. Kids Cancer Care serves the most amazing kids! Seeing them have such a great time at camp, makes me want to work even harder to make the camp perfect for them. Working for the Kids Cancer Care gives me great fulfillment.
I am the maintenance manager at Camp Kindle. We always have projects on the go; they range from fencing, solar lighting, building pathways, cleaning up the forested areas so we have more usable space and much more. We also mow grass and shovel snow!
- What’s your favorite ice cream topping?My favorite ice cream topping is hot fudge, but orange crush floats are my favorite way to have ice cream.
- Cats or dogs?Dogs are my choice of pet. I have Australian shepherds.
- What’s something on your bucket list? A couple of things on my bucket list are riding my horse in the ocean and along the beach, somewhere warm of course. I would also like to spend a new years eve in New York and be part of the count down.
As development associate of donor relations and marketing, I have an incredibly fulfilling job. I research and write grants, steward donors, help coordinate the High Hopes Challenge, the Big Brave and provide support to other fundraising events. I love my work here because I get to be part of a team that collectively makes a big difference in the lives of very special children and their families.
- What’s your camp name? Chips.
- Where is your hometown? Las Vegas, Nevada.
- What’s your favourite meal? All things Mexican. I'm obsessed with the food, culture and music of Mexico.
Events and Community Relations Manager
My role at Kids Cancer Care allows me to plan our unique and creative signature fundraising events, as well as work with community partners on fundraising initiatives that support the foundation. I also have the privilege of leading our incredible events and community fundraising team. Together, we fundraise over half of Kids Cancer Care’s annual revenue.
I love working at Kids Cancer Care because of the people - community partners, our wonderful staff, numerous vendors and the courageous families we support are the reason I love what I do. It is inspiring to work together toward a common goal of supporting children affected by cancer and their families.
- What’s your camp name? Puffin.
- Best read? Shantaram.
- What’s something on your bucket list? Visiting all seven continents. Five down, two to go!
Gift Processing & Office Coordinator
I am excited to work for Kids Cancer Care because it is an amazing group of people to work with and they are doing incredible things for children. I have always loved doing data entry and helping people in the office, and in my position at Kids Cancer Care, I get to do both things, which is just wonderful.
As our gift processor, I process and enter the donations we receive from our amazing donors. As office coordinator, I help ensure that the office runs smoothly by ordering supplies, coordinating with contractors to ensure the facility is clean and operational and ensuring that everyone who visits is greeted with a big friendly smile.
When I am not typing away at a computer, I love to go camping with my family, gardening, and working on large cross stitch projects!
- What is your favourite ice cream?Green Tea!
- What is your favourite meal?Dutch Curry with chicken.
- Where is your home town?Calgary, born and raised!
Education Program Coordinator
I’m so excited to be working as the Education Program Coordinator here at Kids Cancer Care. My work consists of supporting the Tutoring Program alongside the rest of the amazing Education Support Team, coordinating the Derek Wandzura Memorial Scholarship Program, and facilitating the Family Education Support Program.
I have been very fortunate to be a PEER volunteer for the past couple of years. Through this therapeutic exercise program, I have come to know some families and share in their journeys, which I feel is an incredible privilege. I have also come to know the kind and impactful culture here at Kids Cancer Care. I am so excited to be a part of and add to this culture as the Education Program Coordinator, and continue to connect with kiddos, their families, and the volunteers.
- Favourite movie?Mama Mia
- Favourite read?Over the Boards by Hayley Wickenheiser
- What’s your favourite travel destination?Austrailia! Western Austrailia specifically has a special place in my heart as I did a six-month exchange in Perth in 2018.
Director of Philanthropy
Donors make our world a better place. It is my privilege to help Kids Cancer Care’s donors feel connected to our work and to ensure we maximize the impact of their gifts for the benefit of kids and families struggling with cancer. I work with an amazing team of women who go above and beyond every day in the hard task of raising funds and delivering programs to kids and families.
Our team is creative, committed, hardworking, fun-loving, organized and compassionate, making Kids Cancer Care an incredible place to work.
- What’s your camp name?Nino.
- What’s your favorite movie?Anything with Hugh Jackman! Right now it's The Greatest Showman.
- Tell us something quirky about yourself. My Hogwarts House is Hufflepuff!
Food Services Manager – Camp Kindle
As food services manager at Camp Kindle, I get to spread my passion for food and nutrition to our campers and staff alike. I oversee the kitchen operations including menu planning, coordinating kitchen staff, meal preparation and more.
Having been a part of the Kids Cancer Care team as a seasonal cook since 2013, while studying to become a registered dietitian, I have witnessed the positive impact that camp can have on families affected by cancer. I love working with such a great team that is dedicated to creating unique and unforgettable experiences for everyone who is touched by camp!
- What's your favourite travel destination? Anywhere I get to see from between the ears of a horse.
- Where is your hometown?Water Valley, AB.
- What’s your favourite meal?Mac N' Cheese
As the fundraising coordinator, I work on the revenue development team to help manage auctions, recruit Can Do fundraising partners, and support all aspects of Kids Cancer Care events. I am excited to work at Kids Cancer Care so that I can work towards a common goal of making a difference for families affected by childhood cancer.
- What's your favourite travel destination? Costa Rica.
- What's your favourite movie?Green Brook
- What’s your favourite meal?Tacos!
Chief Financial Officer
As Chief Financial Officer, I support financial and administrative functions to ensure the highest level of integrity, efficiency, and accountability. We are honoured by the support of many donors and volunteers who make it possible for us to walk with kids and families through their challenges and successes.
It is a privilege to play a role in supporting these courageous kids through scholarships, research, outreach programs and of course, the incredible Camp Kindle!
I love working here because it's inspiring to be part of the amazing Kids Cancer Care team! I am surrounded by passionate people dedicated to supporting kids and families affected by cancer. The energy and enthusiasm that we bring to our work makes it a very fulfilling place to be!
- What’s your camp name? Anchovy
- Where is your hometown? Regina, SK
- What's your favourite travel destination? Ireland, our family cottage in Saskatchewan, Hawaii, and many still on the list...it's a beautiful world!
Maintenance Assistant - Camp Kindle
I am Camp Kindle’s full-time maintenance assistant. I work year-round to keep Camp Kindle running smoothly, whether that’s building a whole new project or changing a light bulb!
I have been with Kids Cancer Care since 2013. Since then, I have seen first-hand what my work around camp can do for a child with cancer. It’s simply amazing what is possible when your heart is in your job, whether that’s keeping the camp looking great, or providing campers and groups with the best service and care you can give.
- What is your favourite movie? The Lego Movie.
- What is your favourite meal?Steak and baked potatoes.
- Where is your hometown?Cremona/Water Valley, AB.
Camp Program Manager
As camp program manager, I get to work with the campers and staff and connect with the groups on site. My favourite part of working at camp is getting to see the campers and the staff grow into their surroundings. A typical day is interacting with campers, running programs and helping the staff to achieve their goals.
I love working for Kids Cancer Care, particularly at Camp Kindle, because I get to participate in the running of camp. I also get to see the firsthand impact that camp makes on our campers.
- Where is your hometown? Hockley, Essex, England.
- What's your favourite movie? Toy Story.
- What's your favourite meal?Steak fajitas.
Education Support Specialist
Touched by cancer in my own circle of friends and family, my involvement at Kids Cancer Care is allowing me to ‘take action’ with a super energetic, committed team.
As an Education Support Specialist, I guide the programs we offer to support children’s learning needs, such as our home-based, one-to-one tutoring program. We are striving to provide families with educational supports and advocacy. Working with health care providers, educators and parents, we are compiling resources for families and developing workshops related to learning, parenting, and family wellbeing.
- What is something quirky about you?I am a keen collector of interesting quotes and poems, plus fascinating bits of brain research on learning.
- What is something on your bucket list? Hike up to the Beehive on Lake Louise at least one more time with my daughter and read ALL of the books on my bookshelf plus on my very long list of must-reads.
- What is your favourite book? The one I'm currently reading - every book offers something and I could never narrow it down to one!
Director of Operations - Camp Kindle
As director of operations at Camp Kindle, I get to oversee all aspects of the experience of our campers. I am responsible for making sure everyone has a fantastic time while they are at our amazing facility in the majestic beauty of the Alberta foothills.
Camp is a magical place where people can put aside their worries, labels and challenges. Where success can be as large as trying something that scares you and as small as giving a hug and either way it is special and celebrated. I love working with people completely committed to creating the very best camp experience for every person who enters the gates.
- What’s your camp name?Ozone.
- What's your favourite meal?Grilled cheese and tomato soup!
- What's your favourite movie?A Knight's Tale
Marketing and Communication Specialist
As a Marketing and Communication Specialist, I get to tell the world what we’re up to at Kids Cancer Care. My role enables me to work closely with different teams, provide marketing support to our programs and initiatives, and drive awareness. I am passionate about storytelling and creating impactful content.
I am extremely excited to work at Kids Cancer Care — for me this is not just a job, this is about having a deeper meaning and purpose to everything I do. Also, I feel so fortunate and grateful to have such supportive and collaborative colleagues.
With Kids Cancer Care, I have found my happy place!
- Favorite Travel Destination — Goa and Kashmir in India
- Hometown — New Delhi, India
- Favorite Meal — Pasta!
Development Associate- Community Connections
As a development associate - community connections, a big part of my job is fundraising for Kids Cancer Care in many ways. This includes doing prospect research, sourcing silent auction donations and working with families on their own fundraisers. I have the privilege of managing The Big Brave program and working with community partners on their Can Dos for Kids fundraisers.
Working in my role at Kids Cancer Care allows me to get out into the community and share the many fantastic things we do! I love feeling like I’m getting things done and making a difference.
- Favourite Movie? The Man From Snowy River
- What is your favourite travel destination? Hungary
- What’s your favourite meal? Tacos and spaghetti.
Accounting and Payroll Specialist
As the accounting and payroll specialist, I am responsible for Kids Cancer Care's timely and accurate financial keeping and payroll services. I also maintaining an invoice tracking system for all Camp Kindle rentals.
I love working for Kids Cancer Care because our organization helps so many families by providing programs and for those fighting or affected by childhood cancer. I really enjoy working for Kids Cancer Care and am always ready for challenges!
- What’s your favourite ice cream flavour?Green tea and sesame!
- What’s your favorite travel destination? Las Vegas.
- Where is your hometown?Hong Kong!