Camp and Outreach programs demonstrate our commitment to children and families affected by cancer, including summer and weekend camps at Camp Kindle and year-round outreach programs, such as the Teen Leadership Program or Cooking and Caring. These programs are designed to help children and families find support in a community that understands.
Research is the foundation of successful cancer treatments. With your generous gifts, we supported Experimental and Applied Therapeutics research in the Childhood Cancer Research Program at the Alberta Children’s Hospital and University of Calgary. Your gifts also supported the research activities of a new Chair in Child and Family Cancer Care at the University of Calgary Faculty of Nursing.
Education Support and Scholarships help level the playing field for survivors and their families and actively support children, disadvantaged by cancer, throughout their primary and secondary school years. In 2016, you helped us to award scholarships to 16 survivors pursuing a post-secondary education and introduce a much-needed tutoring program, which is now serving children in our community.
Hospital programs help to ensure that Alberta children receive the specialized care they need right here in Alberta. Kids Cancer Care’s hospital programs helps the Alberta Children’s Hospital to recruit and retain the best medical staff, fund an international pediatric oncology residency training program and to offer programs such as family education, bereavement, Look Good Feel Better and Beads of Courage.
Volunteers are at the heart of Kids Cancer Care. Our investment in our volunteer program was returned many-fold in 2016 in the 17,472 hours that volunteers gave to help with the governance and administration of the foundation and to help deliver our fundraising events and mission-based programs.
Public awareness and education includes programming associated with Childhood Cancer Awareness Month in September, along with the publication of our annual report, newsletters, website and videos to build awareness and support.
Acquisition of property and equipment primarily includes a water filtration and treatment system and equipment to support programs and services.
source of funds
Annual fund represents donations received from generous individuals, companies and non-profit organizations through our annual and planned giving fundraising programs, as well as a grant from the KCCFA Derek Wandzura Memorial Scholarship Fund at the Calgary Foundation.
Foundation fundraising events are funds generated through our signature events including Parents’ Quest for the Cure Gala, Dad and Daughter Gala, Golf a Kid to Camp and High Hopes Challenge.
Community fundraising events represent funds generated through fundraising initiatives hosted by individuals, companies, non-profit organizations and other generous groups in the community, including Shave Your Lid for a Kid.®
Capital campaign represents pledge payments to the Camp Kindle Capital Campaign.
Camp Kindle rentals represent revenue generated by making the facility available to community groups, companies, schools and other non-profit organizations during our off-season.
Other represents monies earned through interest on investments and government grants.
- Through community support and the generosity of our donors, Kids Cancer Care raised $5.5 million through annual fundraising, our signature fundraising events, community fundraising events, the capital campaign, Camp Kindle rentals and other sources.
- Kids Cancer Care invested $2.5 million to offer a wide range of programs and services at no cost to families throughout the year, including camp and outreach, research and hospital, education support and scholarship programs, volunteers, public awareness and education and the acquisition of property and equipment.
- The direct costs associated with renting Camp Kindle to other user groups were $0.3 million.
- General and administrative costs of $0.7 million include our office lease, administrative staff salaries and benefits and other administrative costs essential to support operations and deliver programs and services.
- Fundraising costs totalling $1.4 million include the direct costs of our signature fundraising events along with the salaries and benefits of our fundraising staff and other direct costs key to generating funds to deliver programs and services.
To view the full audited financial statements, please visit our website at www.kidscancercare.ab.ca/about-us/publications.